Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Workshop Wednesday 2015/2016 #1

Okay, lets start this serie again: Workshop Wednesday by Hoodlum Society season 2015/2016.

#1: Not a lot happened during the summer, just been riding a bit with the 1972 Ironhead to Axel and Herten (Germany), and our "own" show in Aarle-Rixtel. Got the speedometer calibrated with my iphone and solved the starting problems. Yes I managed to be out of gas again but I was in my driveway so it doesn't count....

Frame of the 1967 is ready for the engine. BA MO TECH is working hard to make it the best 1967 Ironhead in history, everything will be mapped and calibrated very precisely so it will be running for another 48 years.... Frame looks very good with a flat black powdercoat with a bit of flakes only to be seen in the sun. Placed some Old School Tioga headsetplugs to get rid of the holes under the seat, S&M BMX badge and grease nipple. Next are the headset cups, I keep you tuned every Wednesday.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

1972 Start problems solved!

Problems solved: It took a while to find "all" the problems but in the end it works fine now so I don't have to kick the bike anymore and just hit the button like an Internet Outlaw. Replaced the starter with the one from the '67 Ironhead, new Selenoid cause I cooked the other one, new selenoid rubber (new type) that will work way better. I made a spacer for the selenoid cause it was never gonna fit the starter housing, I really thought I "invented" something and made a bracket out of a Brembo brakebracket but when fitting the selenoid I found the "original H-D bracket" on the engine hahaha, so no patent pending... Replaced the wire by a shorter one and double insulated to be stronger. Bend the fork and bracket in the housing so they line up better and its all working now. Just hit the button and off we go.

Ironhead 1967 Projects is in full swing now.

The BIGest problem of my '67 engine was: EVERYTHING. Bigend with lots of play, even 10mm side to side, bend crankshaft, worn pistons in scratched cylinders with a "homemade" oilpump that was not working properly, and two different engine cases to top that of! So I bought two matching number cases on Ebay, two new cylinders in Pennsylvania, a new oilpump as well and BA MO Tech installed a new crankshaft and repaired all the Bigend bearings etc, so we are on our way to make this bike run for another 48 years....

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Problems solved.

Starter problems solved, the 1972 Ironhead can be started with the Kicker and Electric starter again. Replaced the selenoid, replaced the cracked starter wire, bend the fork back, new gasket and now its 100% again. Just in time for the Harley-Dag Aarle-Rixtel next Sunday August 30th.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Still Starter/Selenoid problems

Again I had problems to electric start the Ironhead, Kicking was no problem at all this time and on the way to KKF and Chopper Bash I had no problems at all. I guess it has to do either with the rain or with the heat so I'm going to rebuilt the starter with new bushings (of course I broke the thin ground plate ) and check if that helps, if not I'm going to take the selenoid out and repair that. Also checking the starter cables and all connectors cause the rain could corrode them and give troubles.
Kickstart an Ironhead was never an option I thought but now after over 50 times its not a big of a deal.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

KKF Frau Fragen was a blast!

KKF was : cool, hot, nice, drunk, friends, barbeque, busy, so next time again: FRAU FRAGEN?!

Thursday, May 28, 2015

1972 Ironhead dashboard and electric update

The ride to the Flanders Chopper Bash was flawless, the ride back was worser. I made it home but with pushing the bike twice and kickstarting the bike a million times. For some reason the battery was out of juice or the sellenoid was unhappy but I had to rebuild the starter button and kill switch anyway so I updated the whole side mount dash to the new dash. I can even see if the running light or high beam is on! Never had that before haha, I can also push the right button for the horn cause most of the time I was hitting the starter button instead....

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Flanders Chopper Bash 2015

Bike is prepared for the 2015 Flanders Chopper Bash, first timer for me.

Friday, April 10, 2015


These EMD wheelcovers are bitching! My Ironhead '67 wheel looked like shit and didn't match the frontwheel at all so after repairing some spokes and straighten the rim it was time to put these discs on. No mounts included so I made some by myself, hopefully they hold up... New Sprocket/Drumbrake setup and polished the Drumbrake cover to make it extra shiny. Really love the looks right now.

Friday, April 3, 2015


I spoked more than 1000 BMX Wheels so far and didn't even try to make a Motorcycle wheel yet. Had one broken spoke so I replaced that with an old one out of another old wheel. Didn't take the tire off so after lots of hassle I got the nipple and spoke in and of course: # 2 broke, then #3, #4 and you guessed it right: # 5 also broke at the rusty nipple. So tire off and start all over again. Its easier than a BMX Wheel cause you don't have to cross spokes and you have two rows in the hub flange. Rim is out of shape so have to straight that up first. Easy fix is costing me a whole morning.

Friday, March 27, 2015


Lots of stuff happened since last update but no time for updates. Here update Week #20. I will replace the rear drumbrake, sprocket and brakepads. It was about time....

Twin Air Dual stage Air Filters for the 1967 Ironhead

Again Twin Air did a great job making some custom Dual Stage Air Filters for my '67 Ironhead. Just a simple drawing and the guys in Veghel Netherlands know what to do. Thanks Pieter and Leo  for the nicest Harley-Davidson filters ever made.