Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Workshop Wednesday 2015/2016 #1

Okay, lets start this serie again: Workshop Wednesday by Hoodlum Society season 2015/2016.

#1: Not a lot happened during the summer, just been riding a bit with the 1972 Ironhead to Axel and Herten (Germany), and our "own" show in Aarle-Rixtel. Got the speedometer calibrated with my iphone and solved the starting problems. Yes I managed to be out of gas again but I was in my driveway so it doesn't count....

Frame of the 1967 is ready for the engine. BA MO TECH is working hard to make it the best 1967 Ironhead in history, everything will be mapped and calibrated very precisely so it will be running for another 48 years.... Frame looks very good with a flat black powdercoat with a bit of flakes only to be seen in the sun. Placed some Old School Tioga headsetplugs to get rid of the holes under the seat, S&M BMX badge and grease nipple. Next are the headset cups, I keep you tuned every Wednesday.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

1972 Start problems solved!

Problems solved: It took a while to find "all" the problems but in the end it works fine now so I don't have to kick the bike anymore and just hit the button like an Internet Outlaw. Replaced the starter with the one from the '67 Ironhead, new Selenoid cause I cooked the other one, new selenoid rubber (new type) that will work way better. I made a spacer for the selenoid cause it was never gonna fit the starter housing, I really thought I "invented" something and made a bracket out of a Brembo brakebracket but when fitting the selenoid I found the "original H-D bracket" on the engine hahaha, so no patent pending... Replaced the wire by a shorter one and double insulated to be stronger. Bend the fork and bracket in the housing so they line up better and its all working now. Just hit the button and off we go.

Ironhead 1967 Projects is in full swing now.

The BIGest problem of my '67 engine was: EVERYTHING. Bigend with lots of play, even 10mm side to side, bend crankshaft, worn pistons in scratched cylinders with a "homemade" oilpump that was not working properly, and two different engine cases to top that of! So I bought two matching number cases on Ebay, two new cylinders in Pennsylvania, a new oilpump as well and BA MO Tech installed a new crankshaft and repaired all the Bigend bearings etc, so we are on our way to make this bike run for another 48 years....